Saturday, March 21, 2009

We Are Home!!!!


Shayle was able to go home from the hospital today!! We have had a better day today than yesterday and last night. She slept decently last night, waking 3 or 4 times crying out, but no more vomiting. Her IV was in her foot and began getting uncomfortable around midnight. She kept acting like that was bothering her more than her mouth. Finally at 6 this morning she began crying out for "daddy", of course he was at the hotel. I think she thought since he is a doctor, he would take the IV out for her. The nurse decided to turn it off and see if this would help her and also make her begin to want to drink. I ended up climbing up in the bed with her and fell asleep until 8. Those were the best 2 hours of sleep either of us had all night, I should have gotten in bed with her from the beginning.

She finally drank a little gatorade this morning for me and then again for the doctor when he came in to see her. He told her she could go home if she would take a drink for him. She was definitely all into that. She took a couple drinks for him and then once the nurse came in, she took another drink for her. I think she wanted to make sure she was really going to get to go home. She kept saying she wanted to go home to her sissy's and bubba's. She missed them and once we picked them up and got home, she began to finally want food.

Tonight she had some Dora soup and yogurt. I am glad she finally ate something. She can only have soft foods for a few days and no big spoons or forks. I am pulling out the soft baby spoons. This will keep her from hitting the top of her mouth and damaging it.

The surgeon said she was one of his tougher cases. The majority of cleft palate kids have a hole in the roof of their mouth towards their teeth. In Shayle's case, she was missing the entire soft palate at the back of her mouth, along with her nasal cavity floor. Our surgeon did an excellent job with this repair. He had to cut tissue from the sides of her mouth and stretch and pull it together and then stitch it down the middle to close it up. Where he took tissue, all of that will fill in as she heals. Since her palate was so deep and shaped like a horse shoe, their is a possibility for a fistula to develop where she is stitched together. If this should happen, and it is larger than a pinhole, a second surgery will have to take place in about 6 months. We are praying this does not happen and that she is through having surgery in her little mouth.

I appreciate the ongoing prayers for her and us. They were definitely felt all day yesterday, we had complete peace that only could come from God. I will post some pictures tomorrow. We are exhausted and needing some sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad everything turned out great for Shayle. She has been in our prayers. Your family is such an inspiration to my family. We will continue to pray for her recovery.
Cheryl Frye